Why You Need Storm Planning for Your Unoccupied Home
Florida’s location makes it a hotbed for tropical storms and hurricanes and can bring devastating winds and rain, particularly during the official hurricane season from June to November. Florida also experiences tornadoes, often as offshoots of severe thunderstorms or hurricanes. Tornadoes, while typically less powerful than their Midwest counterparts, still pose significant threats due to their unpredictability and potential for damage. Understanding these different types of storms is a critical first step for Floridians in their storm preparedness efforts.
For residents, the impact of storms is immediate and personal. Homes can be damaged or destroyed, belongings lost, and daily routines severely disrupted. In worst-case scenarios, these storms can result in injuries or even loss of life. The emotional toll can be as significant as the physical damage, emphasizing the importance of comprehensive storm preparedness. If you leave your home unoccupied, you must have someone knowledgeable, dependable, and compassionate to turn to when storms are on the way.
Crown Home Watch provides comprehensive Storm Services to our Home Watch clients to prepare your home and follow up post-storm with reports including pictures of your home. Our procedure for storm preparation is outlined below but is time and storm conditions dependent.
As soon as Lakewood Ranch is determined to be in the path of a hurricane or severe tropical storm, we will notify you of the situation.
At this point, we will:
- Pray that the storm dies out or turns west.
- Visit every client’s home and ensure storm shutters (electric or manual crank) are covering windows. Please note, we do not install any storm shutters. We are not covered by our insurance to perform this task.
- Secure any items that can be damaged or become projectiles in high winds.
- Shut off power, water, and gas to your home.
- Ensure all doors are secure.
- Provide a report of preparation and pictures of your home pre-storm.
- We will not enter any area that has not been cleared for entry by the local authorities
- Once all-clear and Crown Home Watch has re-established our operations including power, internet, and phone service and a safe and secure place to work from, we will begin the process of checking all clients’ homes. At this point, we will begin to check homes. This may be driven by access to your community and phone/internet service. We will provide updates specific to your home. We understand your anxiety in finding out the status of your home. We will do everything possible to provide you with updates specific to your home.